Organizational Development (OD) Grants support one-time activities that strengthen an organization’s ability to function effectively and efficiently.
Reviewed by our Center for Nonprofit Excellence staff, OD grants focus on the inner workings of an organization, rather than its programs and services. This support is integral to our commitment to building the capacity of nonprofits to advance their missions.
It’s great to have a local foundation that funds infrastructure issues. These projects strengthen the organization, with improvements in areas such as service delivery, governance, marketing, and fund development. – Elsa Quezada, Executive Director, CCCIL Central Coast Center for Independent Living
At a Glance
|Grant Amount||$500 – $5,000|
|Scope and Characteristics||
|Application and Reporting||
|Decision||Usually within 2 months of receiving a complete application|
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, fiscally-sponsored organizations, and occasionally, other (unincorporated) public benefit organizations serving Monterey County residents.
- Fiscal sponsors may submit applications for more than one sponsored group, as well as applications for their own organization.
- Individual organizations within a collaborative applying for a grant may also apply for their own Organizational Development grant, as long as it is not for the same project as that of the collaborative.
- Organizations may receive a Community Impact grant, Opportunity grant, and an Organizational Development grant in the same calendar year, as long as the grants are not for the same purpose.
- Businesses and individuals are not eligible, with the exception of social enterprises associated with a local nonprofit.
- Please contact us if your organization has not yet received its nonprofit status and plans to apply in conjunction with a fiscal sponsor.
All organizations applying for a grant must be current on reporting obligations for past CFMC grants.
Guidelines and Application
Before submitting your application for a grant:
- Review the Organizational Development Grant Guidelines
- Have a conversation with CNE staff (required)
- Review the list below of recent grants
Applications are accepted year-round and funding decisions are generally made within eight weeks of submitting an application.
- Organizational Development grants range between $1,000 and $5,000
- Review usually takes two months. Grants cannot pay for previously completed activities so please plan accordingly
A final report is due 3-12 months after receiving a grant.
- An expense report, detailing how the funds were spent. All grantees will use the same expense report form.
- A narrative evaluation in which you report how the grant was used, the impact it had on your organization and/or community, what you have learned, and your next steps.
|Health Projects Center||$5,000||Data system upgrades to support the CareJourney client management tool|
|Alliance on Aging||$4,388||Training to support staff succession|
|Monterey State Historic Park Association||$5,000||Capital campaign feasibility study|
|Center for Photographic Art||$5,000||Executive transition|
|Veterans Transition Center||$4,500||Facilitated strategic planning with first offsite board retreat|
|Monterey Bay Fisheries Trust||$5,000||Fund development coaching|
|YWCA Monterey County||$4,788||Purchase of integrated accounting software|
|Osio Theater||$5,000||Strategic planning and board development|
|Sol Treasures||$1,000||Board governance training|
|Point Lobos Foundation||$4,000||Facilitated board retreat to support transition to staff-driven organization|
|Big Sur Land Trust||$5,000||Cultural proficiency and Spanish language training|
|Central Coast Center for Independent Living||$5,000||Executive transition|
|Dentistry 4 Vets||$4,800||Facilitated strategic plan retreat|
|Farm Discovery at Live Earth||$2,500||Board retreat and manual|
|Marine Life Studies||$5,000||Organizational assessment and fund development plan|
|Harmony At Home||$5,000||Management team coaching support|
|Monterey Jazz Festival||$5,000||Communications strategy development|
|Papillon Center for Loss and Transition||$5,000||Develop a fund development plan|
Preparing a strong grant proposal is like a team sport, where staff input, board approval, and proposal writers all come...
Upcoming Featured Events
- January 29 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- January 30 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- January 31 @ 5:00 pm
Director, Center for Nonprofit Excellence
Program Officer, Center for Nonprofit Excellence