Organizational Development (OD) Grants support one-time activities that strengthen an organization’s ability to function effectively and efficiently.
Nonprofits and community based organizations in Monterey County are creative and resourceful. Through a boost from an Organizational Development (OD) grant, they have the opportunity to invest in the “behind the scenes” aspects of their work, strengthening the organization as a whole. OD grants are reviewed by our Center for Nonprofit Excellence staff. Projects fortify the inner workings of an organization and thereby promote success with other aspects of their work, such as strong community programs.
Nonprofits’ infrastructure is often overlooked by funders. Having the access to resources offered by the Center for Nonprofit Excellence to our organization and others is unique and invaluable. – Amy Mascareñas, El Pajaro CDC
At a Glance
|Grant Amount||$1,000 – $10,000|
|Scope and Characteristics||
|Application and Reporting||
|Decision||Usually within 2 months of receiving a complete application|
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, fiscally-sponsored organizations, and occasionally, other (unincorporated) public benefit organizations serving Monterey County residents.
- Fiscal sponsors may submit applications for more than one sponsored group, as well as applications for their own organization.
- Individual organizations within a collaborative applying for a grant may also apply for their own Organizational Development grant, as long as it is not for the same project as that of the collaborative.
- Organizations may receive a Community Impact grant, Opportunity grant, and an Organizational Development grant in the same calendar year, as long as the grants are not for the same purpose.
- Businesses and individuals are not eligible, with the exception of social enterprises associated with a local nonprofit.
- Please contact us if your organization has not yet received its nonprofit status and plans to apply in conjunction with a fiscal sponsor.
All organizations applying for a grant must be current on reporting obligations for past CFMC grants.
Guidelines and Application
Before submitting your application for a grant:
- Review the Organizational Development Grant Guidelines
- Have a conversation with CNE staff (required)
- Review the list below of recent grants
Applications are accepted year-round and funding decisions are generally made within eight weeks of submitting an application.
- Organizational Development grants range between $1,000 and $10,000
- Review usually takes two months. Grants cannot pay for previously completed activities so please plan accordingly
Please review the application questions, then review how to apply for a grant. Search this Nonprofit Consultant Directory for support in finding a consultant for your project.
The final report is due within one year of receiving a grant, consisting of a narrative evaluation in which you report how the grant was used, the impact it had on your organization and/or community, what you have learned, and your next steps.
|Big Sur Land Trust||CRM transition||$10,000|
|CASA of Monterey County||Strenthen volunteer engagement and retention||$7,500|
|Community Human Services||Replace Customer Relations Management Software||$5,902|
|Elkhorn Slough Foundation||Planning study for Opportunity Fund Campaign||$10,000|
|Gateway Center of Monterey||Website development||$5,000|
|Grower-Shipper Association Foundation||Strategic Planning and Alignment Project||$5,000|
|Harmony At Home||Transition to Comprehensive Social and Emotional Supports Packages||$10,000|
|Jacob’s Heart Children’s Cancer Support Services||Enhanced data/evaluation system to measure impact and improve outcomes||$10,000|
|Live Like Geno Foundation||Public relations and marketing support||$3,743|
|Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History||Strategic planning, risk forecasting and management||$8,000|
|Save Our Shores||Rebuild marketing and communications capacity||$10,000|
|Sol Treasures||Facilitated strategic planning and board development||$5,000|
|United Way Monterey County||Develop marketing and communications capacity||$3,323|
|YWCA Monterey County||IT security and agency protection||$10,000|
Strong Organizations Create Stronger Communities
By Breanna Wilson, California State University Monterey Bay Intern with the Center for Nonprofit Excellence The Center for Nonprofit Excellence...
Upcoming Featured Events
CNE Office HoursJune 15 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
CNE Office HoursJune 22 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Executive Director Breakfast RoundtableJune 23 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Director, Center for Nonprofit Excellence
Leadership Development Specialist