Siembra Latinos Fund
The Siembra Latinos Fund (SLF) was created to improve the quality of life for Latino residents of Monterey County
What is the Siembra Latinos Fund?
The Siembra Latinos Fund was created by a group of local Latino leaders to inspire giving by and for Latinos and build on a culture of philanthropy. “Siembra” means “to sow” and the fund seeks to grow opportunity for the Latino Community in Monterey County.
To inspire philanthropy and giving by Latinos for Latinos in Monterey County
Healthy, safe and engaged Latino communities
Watch this video from the Siembra Latinos Fund Launch to hear why donors support the fund.
Siembra Latinos Fund Advisory Board
A local advisory board provides oversight, sets grantmaking priorities, and raises funds to grant to nonprofit organizations serving Monterey County Latino youth, seniors and families.
The advisory board members are: Ida Lopez (Chair), Chris Barrera, Patricia K. Cruz, Lluvia Del Rio, Elsa Jimenez, Alexis Arrazola, Lorraine Yglesias and Martha Zarate.
My parents instilled in us culture, family, values and philanthropy. – Judy Guzman Krueger, Siembra Latinos Fund Donor
Be a Part of the Siembra Latinos Family
The goal of the fund is to make grants now while building an endowment for the future.
- Half of your gift will go to the endowment to become a permanent resource for Latinos in Monterey County and half will be available to make local grants.
- All potential grants will be reviewed by the SLF advisory board.
- Gifts in the name of loved ones, planned gifts and legacies established through your estate are additional ways to support the SLF.
- You can support the fund by clicking the Give Now button below.
Impact: $80,000 Granted 2018-2021
- Improved educational opportunities for youth in Salinas
- Supported boxing classes and training for youth in King City
- Expanded arts and cultural experiences in Seaside and Salinas
- Invested in health and wellness in South County
- Backed leadership development for youth in Greenfield
- Funded Census outreach and education for Latinos throughout Monterey County in 2019
- Granted $15,000 to provide immediate financial relief to 50 families at the onset of the pandemic in 2020
- Granted $23,000 to six organizations in 2021
2021 grantees include: First Night Monterey for its Greenfield Cultural Arts Program, Salinas Community Science Workshop for Saturday School Science Workshop, Digital NEST to support youth members conducting research to address community needs, Santa Cruz Community Ventures for Economic Recovery of Rural Monterey County Latinos, King City Boxing Club to provide positive activities for youth in King City, YWCA Monterey County for Youth Education and Advocacy.
The SLF is an affiliate fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County (CFMC). The CFMC provides financial stewardship, administrative support and the services of a fully accredited community foundation that is held to rigorous National Standards.
Siembra Latinos - Soledad, 11/5/2019
Siembra Latinos Fund More than 100 supporters of the Siembra Latinos Fund (SLF) of the Community Foundation for Monterey County gathered...
Joel Hernandez Laguna
Community Impact Officer
Vice President of Philanthropic Services