Who We Are
The Community Foundation for Monterey County makes grants to create healthy, safe, vibrant communities in Monterey County and beyond. A design studio for philanthropy, the CFMC works with individuals, families and businesses to design customized giving plans to make an impact now and in the future.
Your Partner in Giving
The CFMC provides a bridge between people and local needs. Our staff has in-depth knowledge about community needs and assists donors with family philanthropy, planned giving or private foundation services.
The CFMC offers a wide range of giving options including donor advised funds, gifts of real estate or complex assets and life-income gifts. What sets us apart is the personal service we provide and our interest in creating the greatest good for Monterey County, now and in the future. We are “Here for Good.”
At a Glance
- $31 million granted in 2022, including $1.7 million in scholarships
- $268 million cumulative grantmaking since 1981
- $332 million in assets
- $31 million in gifts, including $11.2 from Monterey County Gives!
- More than 700 charitable funds
As of 12/31/2022
Mission, Vision, Values
To inspire philanthropy and be a catalyst for strengthening communities throughout Monterey County
Healthy, safe, vibrant communities
- We advance positive change through grantmaking, community engagement and collaboration.
- We build a legacy for future generations through responsible stewardship of the resources entrusted to us.
- We operate with the highest standards of integrity, ethics and accountability.
- We embrace diversity, equity and inclusion.
- We commit to fairness and respect for the dignity of all people.
- We are open and honest with our philanthropic partners, grantees and the community.
- We strive for excellence in all that we do.
Founded in 1945 as “the Monterey Foundation” with a focus on historic preservation of the adobes, the foundation expanded its scope to open space preservation, broad charitable purposes and building endowment in the 1970s. Grantmaking expanded countywide after the first full time staff was hired in 1981 and the organization became “Community Foundation for Monterey County” in 1984. Find more at cfmco.org/75years.
What is a Community Foundation?
The National Standards Seal indicates official confirmation from the Council on Foundations that we have met the most rigorous standards in philanthropy. It affirms our commitment to sound financial management, open, competitive, and relevant grantmaking, and honoring donors’ wishes at all times.