Who We Are
The Community Foundation for Monterey County inspires philanthropy and is a catalyst for strengthening communities throughout Monterey County. We work with hundreds of individuals, families and businesses to fulfill their philanthropic vision.
Your Center for Philanthropy
The CFMC is your local center for philanthropy, working with donors and nonprofits to create healthy, safe, vibrant communities. We provide a bridge between our fund holders and community needs, and our staff has in-depth knowledge about local nonprofits working to make our communities stronger.
The CFMC offers a wide range of giving options including donor advised funds, gifts of real estate or complex assets and life-income gifts such as charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts,. What sets us apart is the personal service we provide and our interest in creating the greatest good for Monterey County, now and in the future. We are “Here for Good.”
At a Glance
- $18.7 million granted in 2018
- $183 million cumulative grantmaking since 1981
- $248 million in assets*
- $22 million in gifts
- Over 500 charitable funds
- Top 100 community foundations in the U.S. (in asset size)
- Founded in 1945; became “Community Foundation for Monterey County” in 1984
As of 12/31/2018
To inspire philanthropy and be a catalyst for strengthening communities throughout Monterey County
Healthy, safe, vibrant communities
- We advance positive change through grantmaking, community engagement and collaboration.
- We build a legacy for future generations through responsible stewardship of the resources entrusted to us.
- We operate with the highest standards of integrity, ethics and accountability.
- We embrace inclusivity and diversity.
- We commit to fairness and respect for the dignity of all people.
- We are open and honest with our philanthropic partners, grantees and the community.
- We strive for excellence in all that we do.
What is a Community Foundation?
The National Standards Seal indicates official confirmation from the Council on Foundations that we have met the most rigorous standards in philanthropy. It affirms our commitment to sound financial management, open, competitive, and relevant grantmaking, and honoring donors’ wishes at all times.