Who We Are
The Community Foundation for Monterey County is a design studio for philanthropy, working with hundreds of individuals, families and businesses to fulfill their philanthropic vision. We make grants to create healthy, safe, vibrant communities in Monterey County and beyond.
Your Partner in Philanthropy
The CFMC provides a bridge between people and community needs. Our staff has in-depth knowledge about local nonprofits and can also assist donors with family philanthropy, planned giving or private foundation services.
The CFMC offers a wide range of giving options including donor advised funds, gifts of real estate or complex assets and life-income gifts. What sets us apart is the personal service we provide and our interest in creating the greatest good for Monterey County, now and in the future. We are “Here for Good.”
Celebrating 75 Years of Impact
The CFMC is celebrating 75th Anniversary in 2020. Founded in 1945 as “the Monterey Foundation” with a focus on historic preservation of the adobes, it expanded its scope to open space preservation and then broad charitable purposes and building endowment in the 1970s. The first full-time staff was hired in 1981, grantmaking expanded countywide and the organization became “Community Foundation for Monterey County” in 1984.
At a Glance
- $19.2 million granted in 2019
- $205 million cumulative grantmaking since 1981
- $292 million in assets*
- $31 million in gifts
- Over 550 charitable funds
- Top 100 community foundations in the U.S. (in asset size)
As of 12/31/2019
To inspire philanthropy and be a catalyst for strengthening communities throughout Monterey County
Healthy, safe, vibrant communities
- We advance positive change through grantmaking, community engagement and collaboration.
- We build a legacy for future generations through responsible stewardship of the resources entrusted to us.
- We operate with the highest standards of integrity, ethics and accountability.
- We embrace inclusivity and diversity.
- We commit to fairness and respect for the dignity of all people.
- We are open and honest with our philanthropic partners, grantees and the community.
- We strive for excellence in all that we do.
What is a Community Foundation?
The National Standards Seal indicates official confirmation from the Council on Foundations that we have met the most rigorous standards in philanthropy. It affirms our commitment to sound financial management, open, competitive, and relevant grantmaking, and honoring donors’ wishes at all times.