Southern Monterey County Foundation
The Southern Monterey County Foundation (SMCF) helps donors invest their contributions close to home and improve the quality of life for area residents.
Neighbors Helping Neighbors
The SMCF is an affiliate fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County. A local advisory board provides oversight, defines grantmaking priorities, and raises funds that are distributed to community organizations serving Southern Monterey County. The CFMC provides financial stewardship, administrative support and the services of a fully accredited community foundation that is held to rigorous National Standards.
The SMCF provides an opportunity for donors to pool philanthropic resources to strengthen communities from King City to points south. It is governed by an advisory board of area residents who have a deep understanding of community needs, appreciation for Southern Monterey County and the tradition of neighbors helping neighbors.
In 2017, its fourth year of grantmaking, the SMCF granted $20,000 to 15 nonprofit organizations: Campaign for the Preservation of Mission San Antonio de Padua, City of Greenfield: Community Science Workshops, City of King Recreation Department, Community Food Pantry of King City, Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries, Girls Inc. of the Central Coast, GRID Alternatives Central Coast, King City Boxing Club, Legal Services for Seniors, Monterey County Agricultural & Rural Life Museum, Monterey County Dance Foundation, Monterey County Pops!, Partnership for Children, Sol Treasures and YWCA of Monterey County. Since 2014, the SMCF has granted over $72,000 to benefit the communities of Southern Monterey County.
SMCF Grant Information
Click the link for grant eligibility and guidelines.
Support South County
There are four giving levels for SMCF supporters, though gifts of any amount are appreciated. Donations can be one-time gifts or pledges over any number of years, and donors will be recognized as follows:
South County Community Champion: $25,000
South County Community Generator: $10,000
South County Founding Family: $5,000
Friends of the SMCF: up to $5,000
- Half of your gift will go to the endowment to become a permanent resource for Southern Monterey County and half will be available to make local grants each of the first five years.
- All potential grants will be reviewed by the SMCF advisory board and will be used only for organizations serving this region.
- The goal is to build an endowment to sustain grantmaking into the future.
- Gifts in the name of loved ones, planned gifts and legacies established through your estate are additional ways to support the SMCF.
- You can donate by credit card by clicking the Give Now button below. If you wish to donate by mail, download the Pledge Form and send it to us.
Community Generators: Founding Family: Friends of the Southern Monterey County Foundation
Friends of the Southern Monterey County Foundation
SMCF Advisory Board
Rob Cullen (Chair), King City; Linda Benway, King City; Grace Borzini, King City; Paulette Bumbalough, King City; Michel Hardoy, Lockwood; Jamie Jones, King City; Peggy Keirn, King City; Mikel Ann Miller, King City
Senior Philanthropic Services Officer