CFMC’s small Opportunity grants program address a wide spectrum of needs.
Applications are accepted year round for grants to support emerging organizations and ventures, urgent needs and other time-sensitive efforts where a small amount of money will make a difference. Opportunity grants typically range between $1,000 and $5,000. While larger grants (up to $10,000) may be considered, they are the exception.
Opportunity At a Glance
|Grant Amount||$1,000 – $5,000|
|Scope and Characteristics||
|Application and Reporting||
|Decision||Usually within 2 months|
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, fiscally-sponsored organizations, and occasionally, other unincorporated public benefit organizations serving Monterey County residents.
- Fiscal sponsors may submit applications for more than one sponsored group, as well as applications for their own organization.
- Individual organizations within a collaborative applying for a grant may also apply for their own Opportunity Grant, as long as it is not for the same project as that of the collaborative.
- Organizations may receive a Community Impact grant and an Opportunity grant in the same calendar year, as long as the grants are not for the same purpose.
- Businesses and individuals are not eligible, with the exception of social enterprises associated with a local nonprofit.
- Please contact us if your organization has not yet received its nonprofit status and plans to apply in conjunction with a fiscal sponsor.
Guidelines and Application
Before submitting your application for a grant:
- Review the Opportunity Grant Guidelines and application
- Review the list below of recent grants
- Contact Esther Figueroa to discuss your proposal idea
Applications are accepted year-round and funding decisions are generally made within eight weeks of submitting an application.
The final report is due within one year of receiving a grant, consisting of a narrative evaluation in which you report how the grant was used, the impact it had on your organization and/or community, what you have learned, and your next steps.
|Save Our Shores||$5,000||Refine organizational values related to diversity, equity and inclusion|
|Asian Cultural Experience||$5,000||Program Manager|
|Latina Republic||$5,000||Adelante! Virtual Tutoring Program in Monterey County|
|Housing Resource Center of Monterey County||$5,000||Landlord Gold Standard Program|
|Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra||$5,000||Bridge Housing for the unsheltered in Chinatown – Phase 1 environmental assessment|