CFMC’s small Opportunity grants program address a wide spectrum of needs.
Applications are accepted year round for grants to support emerging organizations and ventures, urgent needs and other time-sensitive efforts where a small amount of money will make a difference. Opportunity grants typically range between $1,000 and $5,000. While larger grants (up to $10,000) may be considered, they are the exception.
Opportunity At a Glance
|Grant Amount||$1,000 – $5,000|
|Scope and Characteristics||
|Application and Reporting||
|Decision||Usually within 2 months|
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, fiscally-sponsored organizations, and occasionally, other unincorporated public benefit organizations serving Monterey County residents.
- Fiscal sponsors may submit applications for more than one sponsored group, as well as applications for their own organization.
- Individual organizations within a collaborative applying for a grant may also apply for their own Opportunity Grant, as long as it is not for the same project as that of the collaborative.
- Organizations may receive a Community Impact grant and an Opportunity grant in the same calendar year, as long as the grants are not for the same purpose.
- Businesses and individuals are not eligible, with the exception of social enterprises associated with a local nonprofit.
- Please contact us if your organization has not yet received its nonprofit status and plans to apply in conjunction with a fiscal sponsor.
Guidelines and Application
Before submitting your application for a grant:
- Review the Opportunity Grant Guidelines and application
- Review the list below of recent grants
- Contact Esther Figueroa to discuss your proposal idea
Applications are accepted year-round and funding decisions are generally made within eight weeks of submitting an application.
The final report is due within one year of receiving a grant, consisting of a narrative evaluation in which you report how the grant was used, the impact it had on your organization and/or community, what you have learned, and your next steps.
|AIM for Mental Health||Eating disorders awareness and training||$5,000|
|Gateway Center of Monterey||Without Walls Program||$3,200|
|Monterey Bay Power Over Parkinson’s||Expansion of POP Fit Studio classroom||$5,000|
|Monterey Waterkeeper||Community Assessment on Salinas Valley Drinking Water Safety||$5,000|
|New Canon Theatre Co||Production of Macbeth||$5,000|
|The Equine Healing Collaborative||Electric Horse Fencing Project||$5,000|
Scholarships and Community Impact Officer