Organizational Development (OD) Grants support one-time activities that strengthen an organization’s ability to function effectively and efficiently.
Reviewed by our Center for Nonprofit Excellence staff, OD grants focus on the inner workings of an organization, rather than its programs and services. This support is integral to our commitment to building the capacity of nonprofits to advance their missions.
It’s great to have a local foundation that funds infrastructure issues. These projects strengthen the organization, with improvements in areas such as service delivery, governance, marketing, and fund development. – Elsa Quezada, Executive Director, CCCIL Central Coast Center for Independent Living
At a Glance
|Grant Amount||$500 – $5,000|
|Scope and Characteristics||
|Application and Reporting||
|Decision||Usually within 2 months of receiving a complete application|
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, fiscally-sponsored organizations, and occasionally, other (unincorporated) public benefit organizations serving Monterey County residents.
- Fiscal sponsors may submit applications for more than one sponsored group, as well as applications for their own organization.
- Individual organizations within a collaborative applying for a grant may also apply for their own Organizational Development grant, as long as it is not for the same project as that of the collaborative.
- Organizations may receive a Community Impact grant, Opportunity grant, and an Organizational Development grant in the same calendar year, as long as the grants are not for the same purpose.
- Businesses and individuals are not eligible, with the exception of social enterprises associated with a local nonprofit.
- Please contact us if your organization has not yet received its nonprofit status and plans to apply in conjunction with a fiscal sponsor.
All organizations applying for a grant must be current on reporting obligations for past CFMC grants.
Guidelines and Application
Before submitting your application for a grant:
- Review the Organizational Development Grant Guidelines
- Have a conversation with CNE staff (required)
- Review the list below of recent grants
Applications are accepted year-round and funding decisions are generally made within eight weeks of submitting an application.
- Organizational Development grants range between $1,000 and $5,000
- Review usually takes two months. Grants cannot pay for previously completed activities so please plan accordingly
A final report is due 3-12 months after receiving a grant.
- An expense report, detailing how the funds were spent. All grantees will use the same expense report form.
- A narrative evaluation in which you report how the grant was used, the impact it had on your organization and/or community, what you have learned, and your next steps.
|Arts Council for Monterey County||$4,000||Training to support arts leaders to develop equity plans for their programs and organizations|
|Center for Community Advocacy||$5,000||A new IT server, installation and tech support|
|Chamber Music Monterey Bay||$5,000||Facilitated board retreat|
|Coastal Kids Home Care||$5,000||Strengthen human resource practices, conduct a financial management review, and purchase Directors/Officers insurance|
|Community Builders for Monterey County||$2,400||Develop and implement a volunteer management CRM system|
|Digital NEST||$3,449||Develop a companion handbook for NESTbot, an integrated operational tool|
|Elkhorn Slough Foundation||$5,000||Replace IT server to reliably store data and expand storage capacity|
|Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries||$5,000||Develop a comprehensive strategic communications plan|
|Monterey Jazz Festival||$5,000||Evaluation of music education programs|
|Monterey Symphony||$3,500||Develop, implement and evaluate audience data using Intrinsic Impact Surveys|
|Positive Discipline Community Resources||$2,500||Donor development plan and board/staff training|
|SpectorDance||$5,000||Fund development plan and board training|
|Big Sur Land Trust||$3,000||Staff development and coaching|
Preparing a strong grant proposal is like a team sport, where staff input, board approval, and proposal writers all come...
Upcoming Featured Events
- July 10 @ 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- July 24 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- July 25 @ 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Director, Center for Nonprofit Excellence
Program Officer, Center for Nonprofit Excellence