Your gift can address ever-changing community needs – including future needs that often cannot be anticipated.
We evaluate all aspects of community well-being, arts and culture, economic development, education, environment, health and human services, neighborhood revitalization, and more. The flexibility of your unrestricted gift enables the Community Foundation’s program experts to respond to the community’s most pressing needs, today and tomorrow.
How it Works
- You make a gift to the CFMC—you can use cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
- A fund is established in your name and is included in the CFMC’s General Endowment.
- Our Board of Directors, informed by recommendations from grant committees, approves grants that support initiatives and programs throughout Monterey County.
Why Create an Unrestricted Fund?
- You receive an immediate tax deduction at the time of your donation.
- Your gift is placed into an endowment that is invested over time. A percentage of the fund is used to make grants each year addressing community needs. Your gift is a permanent source of community capital, doing good work forever.
We can also help you create a donor advised fund today which supports emerging community needs after your lifetime. Unrestricted funds are often created when a donor advised fund is no longer active. Unless a donor advisor has established a specific use for the fund, donor advised funds become unrestricted components of the general endowment upon their passing.