Northern Monterey County Foundation Awards $40,000 in Grants
The Northern Monterey County Foundation (NMCF) granted $40,000 to 12 nonprofit organizations in July 2022 for projects and programs serving the residents of Aromas, Bolsa Knolls, Boronda, Castroville, Elkhorn, Las Lomas, Moss Landing, Oak Hills, Pajaro, Prunedale, Royal Oaks and Santa Rita.
Among the grantees was Jacob’s Heart Children’s Cancer Support Services, which supports children with cancer and their families in Northern Monterey County.
Since 1998, Jacob’s Heart has provided emotional, practical, financial and peer support to hundreds of local children and teens with cancer and thousands of their family members and accompanied their unique experiences throughout treatment, anticipatory grief, and bereavement.
“This program ensures that 80 Northern Monterey family members impacted by pediatric cancer feel safe, supported and loved, remain safe in their homes, and never miss a medical appointment,” said Heidi Boynton, Executive Director of Jacob’s Heart. “For Jacob’s Heart, success means meeting families where they are – practically, financially, and emotionally – to give families with children facing cancer a network of hope during a critical time.”
To date, the NMCF has granted $200,000 for organizations providing community-based services aimed at improving the quality of life for Northern Monterey County residents. The NMCF, founded in 2016, is an affiliate fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County. For more information or to support the fund, visit www.cfmco.org/NMCF.
2022 Northern Monterey County Foundation Grantees:
- Breast Cancer Assistance Group of Monterey County for assistance grant program
- Central Coast YMCA for community programming in Pajaro Park
- Farm Discovery at Live Earth for farming & distribution of produce & nutrition education for Northern Monterey County residents
- Girls Incorporated of the Central Coast for Will Power/Won’t Power in Castroville
- Independent Transportation Network Monterey County for North Line – dignified transportation for medical, grocery, or pharmacy needs in North County
- Jacob’s Heart Children’s Cancer Support Services for comprehensive support for children with cancer and their families in Northern Monterey County
- Legal Services for Seniors for no-cost professional legal services for low-income seniors in North County
- North County Youth Recreation Association for Manzanita youth playground project and parking lot paving
- Pajaro Valley Shelter Services for coordinated economic development for families in Pajaro
- Partnership for Children for increasing access to medical care for children with serious illnesses and supporting their families
- Spay Neuter Imperative Project California DBA SNIP for one low-cost mobile spay/neuter clinic for a low-income community in Northern Monterey County
- Wonder Wood Ranch for Horses & Heroes equine therapeutic services for foster & high trauma kids
About the Northern Monterey County Foundation
The Northern Monterey County Foundation (NMCF) was created in 2016 as a unique vehicle to bring positive change to the communities of North Monterey County. The NMCF is an opportunity for individuals, families, and businesses to come together to improve the quality of life for all residents of North County. A local advisory board provides oversight, defines grantmaking priorities, and raises funds that are distributed to community organizations serving Northern Monterey County. It is an affiliate fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County, which provides financial stewardship, administrative support and the services of a fully accredited community foundation that is held to rigorous National Standards.