Monterey County Tolerance and Acceptance Fund
The Monterey County Tolerance and Acceptance Fund was established to promote cultural, religious and political understanding and respect in Monterey County.
We are at a crossroads in our country and communities where understanding and acceptance of our cultural, religious and political differences must be promoted and celebrated.
The goal of the Monterey County Tolerance and Acceptance Fund is to create a sustainable path to fund nonprofit projects and initiatives that promote acceptance of Monterey County’s rich cultural diversity and differing experiences.
About the Fund
Monterey County Tolerance and Acceptance Fund was founded in 2020 to counter negative rhetoric that tear at diversity and our fundamental differences. The fund seeks to promote acceptance of our differences in meaningful ways that will have a lasting impact and grow Monterey County as a welcoming place of compassion and understanding. It is a field of interest fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County.
“Many people define themselves based on the context of our history and experiences,” notes Erica Padilla-Chavez, founder of the Monterey County Tolerance and Acceptance Fund.
We come from different backgrounds and perspectives. Now in this moment of history, we must celebrate the contributions of our experiences, and work to understand and embrace our differences.” – Erica Padilla-Chavez
Funding priorities for the Monterey County Tolerance & Acceptance Fund are:
Programs and/or projects that:
- Encourage a greater understanding and tolerance among different racial, ethnic, religious, gender, sexuality and cultural groups, and encourage appreciation of diversity,
- Promote civility and respect, and build more inclusive environments.
- Educate the community about the consequences of bias and hatred, and the moral responsibilities inherent in individual roles,
- Affirm environments and climates for all to thrive in a diverse community.
- Uplift partnerships and collaborations working to build solidarity among differing groups
- Support organizations that demonstrate their own interest and capacity to learn (e.g., what are they doing internally to promote acceptance and appreciation of cultural diversity and differing experiences)
This fund will be included in the CFMC’s Community Impact (CI) and Opportunity grantmaking program in the program areas of:
- Community Development: Community organizing and leadership development that engages people in addressing issues of mutual concern and leading positive change in their community
- Arts: Community-building programs that use the arts to promote cultural expression, build community pride and increase cultural understanding
- Children & Youth Development: Programs that promote character-building, leadership and life skills development
- Health & Human Services: Programs that teach self-advocacy skills and/or provide guidance in navigating the health and human services system to secure needed resources for people who have limited access to services
- Historic Preservation: Educational programs that cultivates interest and understanding in the history and cultures of our region
- Environment: Education and hands-on experiences for youth that inspire responsible stewardship of our natural resources
Make a Gift
- To make a gift to the fund, donate securely online or click on the “Donate Now” button below.
- Send a check made payable to “Community Foundation for Monterey County” with “Tolerance and Acceptance Fund” in the memo line to:
Community Foundation for Monterey County, 2354 Garden Road, Monterey, CA 93940
- Make a gift of stock or other assets. Contact Christine Dawson, CFMC Vice President Philanthropic Services at 831.375.9712 x126 to learn more.
Donations to the Monterey County Tolerance and Acceptance Fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County (CFMC) are tax deductible. The CFMC is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization,Tax ID #94-1615897.
NCBI Monterey County Dedicated to ending discrimination, intolerance and inter-group tension