Siembra Latinos Fund
The Siembra Latinos Fund (SLF) was created to improve the quality of life for Latino residents of Monterey County
What is the Siembra Latinos Fund?
The Siembra Latinos Fund was created by a group of local Latino leaders to inspire giving by and for Latinos and build on a culture of philanthropy. “Siembra” means “to sow” and the fund seeks to grow opportunity for the Latino Community in Monterey County.
To inspire philanthropy and giving by Latinos for Latinos in Monterey County
Healthy, safe and engaged Latino communities
Watch this video from the Siembra Latinos Fund Launch to hear why donors support the fund.
Siembra Latinos Fund Advisory Board
A local advisory board provides oversight, sets grantmaking priorities, and raises funds to grant to nonprofit organizations serving Monterey County Latino youth, seniors and families.
The advisory board members are: Ida Lopez (Chair), Chris Barrera, Patricia K. Cruz, Lluvia Del Rio, Elsa Jimenez, Daniel Rodriguez, Lorraine Yglesias and Blanca E. Zarazua, Esq.
We are proud to be on the forefront of Latino philanthropy in the state and country, and to help sow the seeds for a vibrant Latino community. – Blanca E. Zarazua, Esq.
Be a Part of the Siembra Latinos Family
The goal of the fund is to make grants now while building an endowment for the future.
- Half of your gift will go to the endowment to become a permanent resource for Latinos in Monterey County and half will be available to make local grants.
- All potential grants will be reviewed by the SLF advisory board.
- Gifts in the name of loved ones, planned gifts and legacies established through your estate are additional ways to support the SLF.
- You can support the fund by clicking the Give Now button below.
Impact: $40,000 Granted 2018-2020
• Improved educational opportunities for youth in Salinas
• Supported boxing classes and training for youth in King City
• Expanded arts and cultural experiences in Seaside and Salinas
• Invested in health and wellness in South County
• Backed leadership development for youth in Greenfield
• Funded Census outreach and education for Latinos throughout Monterey County in 2019
• Granted $15,000 to provide immediate financial relief to 50 families at the onset of the pandemic in 2020
Grantees include: Alisal Community Arts Network for its Latin Jazz Orchestra; Central Coast YMCA for Diabetes Prevention Programs, Centro Binacional para el Desarrollo Indigena Oaxaqueno for an indigenous youth leadership program, King City Boxing Club for activities for youth in King City, Life is for Everyone, Inc. for STEM/science club, Loaves, Fishes & Computers for a digital literacy workshop in Gonzales and Palenke Arts for art classes in Seaside.
The SLF is an affiliate fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County (CFMC). The CFMC provides financial stewardship, administrative support and the services of a fully accredited community foundation that is held to rigorous National Standards.
TOP PHOTO: 2019 Siembra Latinos Fund Advisory Board Members: Back (l to r): Daniel Rodriguez, Elsa Mendoza Jimenez,Chris Barrera, Raul Rodríguez, Lorraine Yglesias Front (l to r): Blanca Zarazua, Esq., Ida López Chan, Jose Luis Alvarado, Ph.D.
Siembra Latinos - Soledad, 11/5/2019
Siembra Latinos Fund More than 100 supporters of the Siembra Latinos Fund (SLF) of the Community Foundation for Monterey County gathered...
Joel Hernandez Laguna
Community Impact Officer
Vice President of Philanthropic Services