Gabilan Hope Scholarship Fund
Gabilan Hope Scholarship Fund of the Community Foundation of Monterey County supports educational goals of migrant students graduating Salinas Unified High School District schools.
The Gabilan Hope Scholarship (GHS) awards migrants youths from Salinas Unified High School District. It awards college scholarships to first generation, migrant youths graduating from high schools in the Salinas Unified High School District (SUHSD).
The scholarship was established in 2015 by a grant from a private donor who is a documentarian of the plight of Salinas Valley farm workers. His intention was to provide exceptional migrant students from often hard-pressed backgrounds with the opportunity to complete their undergraduate education by reducing the financial burdens they may face. It is a four-year, renewable scholarship that provides four awards of $2,000 . Renewals are based on ability to maintain college standing and grades for additional annual awards of $1,000 per year.
The Scholarship Committees select the annual award winners in accordance with the selection criteria below. Each is permitted to award one or more scholarships up to the annual available fund distribution balance. The number of scholarships specified for any given year is limited to ensure the sustainability of the fund and may vary.
- 4 awards of $2,000
Students from Salinas Unified High School District who are pursuing post-secondary programs at any accredited school or institution in California are eligible to apply.
Winners will be selected annually by the scholarship committee based on the following specific criteria:
- Financial need;
- Demonstrated scholastic ability;
- Migrant youth graduating from high schools in the Salinas Unified High School District;
- Applicants eligibility for acceptance or current enrollment in any post-secondary education program at any accredited post-secondary school or institution in California;
The Gabilan Hope scholarship committee will evaluate applications, interview finalists as needed and select the recipients. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The recipients will be chosen by the scholarship committee.
Ways to Give to the Fund
- Send checks to The Community Foundation for Monterey County, 2354 Garden Road, Monterey, Ca. Address it to the attention of the Gabilan Hope Scholarship fund. (Put the fund in the memo line of the check.
- Gifts of stock and transfers of property can be made by calling XXX
- Donate directly and securely to the fund here: www.cfmco.org/give-now/?fund=18935
- Use the donate button below