The Fund for Homeless Women
The Fund for Homeless Women is a field of interest fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County (CFMC) established to support programs and services for homeless women in Monterey County.
The fund is made up of contributions from community members that share a deep concern for the plight of homeless women, particularly the many older, single women who are in danger every night and for whom few options for safety and secure housing exist. A gift from an anonymous CFMC fund holder in 2012 endowed the fund.
Read more about the creation of the Fund for Homeless Women.
Second Grantmaking Cycle Announced for 2014
We expect to award a total up to $90,000 in support of emergency assistance and innovative efforts around emergency and transitional housing services for women on the Monterey Peninsula.
How to Apply:
1. Review the grant guidelines and application questions.
2. Prepare application documents (e.g., project budget, signed board letter of support, etc.) and work on partner agreements, if applicable.
Create an online account
Creating an account for our online application system allows you to save your work and gives you access to your application during submission. You do not have to complete the entire application at one time and may return to finish it. When you create your account, you will receive an automated email from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not see this email, look in your junk or spam folder. Add this email address to your safe contact list.
Instructions and videos are available to assist you with our online grant management system.
Overview Guide to apply online for a grant from the Community Foundation
Creating an Account video
Application Workflow video
Begin online application
Contact us if you have any questions or need assistance, 831.375.9712 or 754.5880, email@example.com.
The Fund's inaugural grants, awarded in March 2014, focus on reducing the number of women on the Monterey Peninsula who are in danger of harm each night by increasing access to shelter and safety. Six faith-based and nonprofit organizations were funded to administer emergency funds that will provide direct emergency assistance to homeless women for emergency shelter, transportation and other survival needs. Funding also went to two new creative projects to provide greater safety for women who are homeless on the Monterey Peninsula. Funded projects are:
- San Carlos Cathedral, $12,000 to support the Loaves & Fishes Ministry to establish the "Gathering Place for Women" to provide emergency assistance, a safe environment and hot lunch for homeless women in Monterey
- St. Mary’s by-the-Sea Episcopal Church $6,000 for emergency assistance to single homeless women in Pacific Grove
- Shelter Outreach Plus $3,000 For daily bus passes to assist homeless women at Hamilton House in Seaside secure needed services and housing
- Unitarian Universalist Church of the Monterey Peninsula $5,000 to provide vouchers for shelter and transportation for homeless women
- Community Human Services $3,000 for emergency assistance for young homeless women through CHS's Safe Place Program in downtown Monterey
- Pass the Word Ministry $21,500 for the One Starfish Safe Parking Program to provide emergency assistance and a safe place for Monterey Peninsula women living in their cars to reside at night
Ways to Give
ONLINE: CLICK HERE to make a secure online donation.
BY MAIL: Checks should be made payable to:
"The Community Foundation for Monterey County"
2354 Garden Road, Monterey, CA 93940
Be sure to include "Fund for Homeless Women" in the memo line.
BY PHONE: Call the CFMC at 831.375.9712 weekdays between 8:30 and 5:00 PM
to make a donation with your credit card.
GIFTS OF STOCK: To donate stock, real estate or other assets, call 831.375.9712.
Photo above: "Sun" by Ken Wanderman from "Becoming Visible" Exhibition