The Fund for Homeless Women
The Fund for Homeless Women is a field of interest fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County (CFMC) established to support programs and services for homeless women in Monterey County.
The fund is made up of contributions from community members that share a deep concern for the plight of homeless women, particularly the many older, single women who are in danger every night and for whom few options for safety and secure housing exist. A gift from an anonymous CFMC fund holder in 2012 endowed the fund.
Read more about the creation of the Fund for Homeless Women.
- Grants are open to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations and public agencies.
- Only one grant application per organization will be considered. Fiscal sponsors may submit more than one application for different sponsored groups and one for their own organization.
- Only proposals serving homeless women on the Monterey Peninsula will be accepted.
What grant funds will support:
- Planning and start-up costs for new programs or expansion of existing programs to fill a gap or support a new approach. Consideration will be given to operating costs for existing programs where a small amount of funding can make a difference.
- Personnel expenses that relate to specific program goals; equipment, materials or facilities costs that directly benefit participants or are an identifiable part of the proposed project.
- For emergency assistance small grants, funding will support only direct assistance to homeless women, such as hotel vouchers or personal care expenses.
What grant funds CANNOT support:
- Religious organizations that exclude services based on religious beliefs or promote a religious doctrine.
- Funding to schools and public agencies that would supplant tax-supported, mandated services.
- Expenses incurred prior to the grant award date.
Guidelines & Application
The Fund for Homeless Women seeks proposals that address one or more of the following grantmaking priorities:
- Small grants for emergency assistance: up to $5,000 to support emergency shelter, transportation, and personal care for homeless women.
- Support for innovative ideas that expand emergency/temporary shelter, permanent housing options and/or case management services: $10,000 to $50,000 for initiatives designed to provide emergency/temporary shelter, permanent housing, day programs, or case management services for homeless women.
For larger grants that increase access to shelter, grant applications will be expected to provide a clear plan describing how program goals and activities will monitor and measure success. If a grant is received, a final report will be due in a year after receiving the grant that articulates how the grant was used, a description of activities and people who benefitted, and what was learned.
Applications are due on the first Friday in October and grant decisions are announced in December.
Ways to Give
ONLINE: CLICK HERE to make a secure online donation.
BY MAIL: Checks should be made payable to:
"The Community Foundation for Monterey County"
2354 Garden Road, Monterey, CA 93940
Be sure to include "Fund for Homeless Women" in the memo line.
BY PHONE: Call the CFMC at 831.375.9712 weekdays between 8:30 and 5:00 PM
to make a donation with your credit card.
GIFTS OF STOCK: To donate stock, real estate or other assets, call 831.375.9712.
Photo above: "Sun" by Ken Wanderman from "Becoming Visible" Exhibition