The Community Foundation for Monterey County (CFMC) accepts and reviews Opportunity grant applications throughout the year, until all available funds have been awarded. We encourage interested grantseekers to contact us to discuss proposal ideas before submitting a grant application.
The Opportunity Fund is the CFMC’s small grants program to address a wide spectrum of needs. Applications are accepted year round for grants to support emerging organizations and ventures, urgent needs and other time-sensitive efforts where a small amount of money will make a difference. Opportunity Fund grants typically range between $1,000 and $5,000. While larger grants (up to $10,000) may be considered, they are the exception.
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, fiscally-sponsored organizations, and occasionally, other unincorporated public benefit organizations serving Monterey County residents.
- Fiscal sponsors may submit applications for more than one sponsored group, as well as applications for their own organization.
- Individual organizations within a collaborative applying for a grant may also apply for their own Opportunity Grant, as long as it is not for the same project as that of the collaborative.
- Organizations may apply for a Community Impact Grant and an Opportunity Grant in the same calendar year, as long as the applications are not for the same purposes.
- Businesses and individuals are not eligible, with the exception of social enterprises associated with a local nonprofit.
Guidelines and Application
Before submitting your application for a grant please review the Opportunity Grant Guidelines, which include more information about funding priorities and requirements. You may also wish to review a list of recent grants made to organizations for organizational development and urgent or emerging projects.
A two-step evaluation report is due to us one year after you've been awarded an opportunity grant. Contact us if you have any questions.
1. Please email your completed expense report to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact us if you have any questions. All organizations applying for a grant must be current on reporting obligations for past CFMC grants.
2. Opportunity Emerging/Time-sensitive grants return your completed Evaluation form with your expense report.
Our program staff is available to answer your questions about applying for an Opportunity Grant. For referral to the appropriate staff person, contact Janet Shing, Senior Program Officer, or call 831.375.9712 x 137.