Southern Monterey County Foundation
The Southern Monterey County Foundation (SMCF) helps donors invest their contributions close to home and improve the quality of life for area residents.
Neighbors Helping Neighbors
The SMCF is an affiliate fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County. A local advisory board provides oversight, defines grantmaking priorities, and raises funds that are distributed to community organizations serving Southern Monterey County. The CFMC provides financial stewardship, administrative support and the services of a fully accredited community foundation that is held to rigorous National Standards.
The SMCF provides an opportunity for donors to pool philanthropic resources to strengthen communities from King City to points south. It is governed by an advisory board of area residents who have a deep understanding of community needs, appreciation for Southern Monterey County and the tradition of neighbors helping neighbors.
In 2017, its fourth year of grantmaking, the SMCF granted $20,000 to 15 nonprofit organizations: Campaign for the Preservation of Mission San Antonio de Padua, City of Greenfield: Community Science Workshops, City of King Recreation Department, Community Food Pantry of King City, Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries, Girls Inc. of the Central Coast, GRID Alternatives Central Coast, King City Boxing Club, Legal Services for Seniors, Monterey County Agricultural & Rural Life Museum, Monterey County Dance Foundation, Monterey County Pops!, Partnership for Children, Sol Treasures and YWCA of Monterey County. Since 2014, the SMCF has granted over $72,000 to benefit the communities of Southern Monterey County.
Become a Founding Family Member
Those who contribute $5,000 or more (in a one-time gift or five-year pledge) will be recognized as Founding Family Members of the SMCF. Founding Family members will help the SMCF make an immediate impact through local grants over its first five years and build a permanent resource to benefit Southern Monterey County. Please download the flyer for more information or to mail in a contribution.
- Half of your gift will go to the endowment to become a permanent resource for Southern Monterey County and half will be available to make local grants each of the first five years.
- All potential grants will be reviewed by the SMCF advisory board and will be used only for organizations serving this region.
- The goal is to build an endowment to sustain grantmaking into the future.
- Gifts in the name of loved ones, planned gifts and legacies established through your estate are additional ways to support the SMCF.
- You can join by credit card by clicking the Give Now button below. If you wish to join by mail, download the Pledge Form and send it to us.
SMCF Advisory Board
Rob Cullen (Chair), King City; Linda Benway, King City; Grace Borzini, King City; Paulette Bumbalough, King City; Michel Hardoy, Lockwood; Jamie Jones, King City; Peggy Keirn, King City; Mikel Ann Miller, King City
SMCF Grant Information
Senior Philanthropic Services Officer
New! 2017 SMCF Grants Available (Deadline 9/22)