Southern Monterey County Foundation Awards Grants
SMCF Awards Over $10,000 to Benefit South County Residents
Southern Monterey County Foundation (SMCF), an affiliate fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County, has awarded its second year of grants. The SMCF raises funds to provide grants to strengthen communities from King City to points south. It is guided by an advisory board of local residents who have a deep understanding of community needs in the region.
Grants totaling $10,100 were made to the following seven nonprofit organizations serving Southern Monterey County residents:
- Campaign for the Preservation of Mission San Antonio de Padua: $2,000 for Phase II of the restoration and preservation of the historic Mission
- Community Food Pantry of King City: $2,000 to serve hungry members of the community
- CSU Monterey Bay: $1,900 to support Otter Linguist, a program to provide second language skills and multicultural education to middle schoolers
- Girls Inc. of the Central Coast: $2,000 to expand into three King City schools the Growing Together program, which increases positive communication between mothers and daughters
- Legal Services for Seniors: $1,000 to provide no-cost legal services for Southern Monterey County Seniors
- Sol Treasures: $500 for Art-Scape, an educational art and garden experience for the community
- Youth Music Monterey: $700 to purchase a bass instrument for the South County Strings Program, which provides free, in-school music instruction
In two years, the SMCF has already provided over $37,000 in grants. This is thanks to our generous and supportive donors. We’re excited to build this resource for our local communities.”
– Paulette Bumbalough, chair of the SMCF advisory board
“The goal of Community Food Pantry of King City is to continue an ongoing food distribution program providing nutritious food and support to any community members that present a need, said Peggy Keirn. “We are very grateful to the Southern Monterey County Foundation for their continued support and guidance which helps us fulfill our mission.”
Founded in 2014 by local residents, the SMCF is a permanent endowed resource for Southern Monterey County that provides grants to nonprofits serving the area. The advisory board reviews all applications and makes decisions on where funding will have the greatest positive impact.
The SMCF is supported by the Founding Family, 19 individuals and businesses who have pledged to both build the endowment and allow the SMCF to award grants in its first five years. To become a member of the Founding Family or to support the SMCF go to www.cfmco.org/smcf.